Friday, December 22, 2006

Poetry Friday

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Let your heart be light
Next year,
All our troubles will be out of sight

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Make the yuletide gay,
Next year,
All our troubles will be miles away.

The rest of the lyrics.

Round up here; I'll be posting as the day goes on.

How early did you have to get up to claim The Night Before Christmas?

A Year of Reading wins: 1:38 AM. Year shares her favorite sections.

The "short but it's still a poem" crowd:

Big A little a and Choose by Carl Sandburg

Little Willow and part of Primary Education by Daniel Coudriet

Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast and Poem by Thomas McGrath

The Simple and the Ordinary with a short verse from Madeleine L'Engle

Holiday and Seasonal poems:

The Old Coot shares A Dubious 'Old Kriss' from James Whitcomb Riley

WATAT: Adrienne is thinking about Wallace Stevens (hey, it's The Snowman, so it's holiday, right?)

Writing and Ruminating highlights Winter-Time by Robert Louis Stevenson

a wrung sponge and little tree by e.e. cummings

The lyrics crowd:

Blog from the Windowsill and the lyrics to Who Needs Art?

Journey Woman and Christmas Time is Here (aka the Charlie Brown Christmas Song)

The saying goodbye to a loved tree poem:

Susan Taylor Brown and The Tree That Used To Be

The multiple poems crowd:

Blue Rose Girls share seven Christmas poems

Farm School shares two poems that make Christmas magic

One poem on weather, one on Christmas at Scholar's Blog

Poems about writing:

Wordy Girls share Acquainted with the Night by Robert Frost

So early I missed her:

Chicken Spaghetti had Poetry Friday on Thursday, with Bagel by Billy Collins.

For your listening pleasure:

Podcast of a book review at Just One More Book

Mind reader:

Gregory K knows I had off today AND I woke up with a headache, in his original I Crawled Out of Bed Today

Let me know in the comments when you've posted & I'll add you to the links.

16 comments:

Little Willow said...

http://slayground.livejournal.com/154586.html

Because I have never seen snow.

Elaine Magliaro said...

For Poetry Friday at Blue Rose Girls, I've posted seven Christmas poems, icluding Longfellow's "Christmas Bells."

http://bluerosegirls.blogspot.com/
2006/12/poetry-friday-christmas-poems.html

Becky said...

I'm just catching up on my blog reading and love the new look, Liz. Very classy and easy on the eyes.

I have two today from my kids' favorite Christmas anthology, to be filed under "Holiday Poems", Eleanor Farjeon's "In the Week When Christmas Comes" and Countee Cullen's "Under the Mistletoe":

http://farmschoolathome.blogspot.com/2006/12/poetry-friday-christmas-magic.html

Thanks, Liz, and Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I suppose I'm seasonal -- I've got Winter-Time by Robert Louis Stevenson chez moi http://kellyrfineman.livejournal.com/161019.html
and at Blogger: http://kellyrfineman.blogspot.com/2006/12/winter-time-poetry-friday-post-no.html

Anonymous said...

I'm in with a little Wallace Stevens:

http://www.watat.com/archives/2006/12/awallace_steven.html

:)

Merry Christmas to you, Liz!

Anonymous said...

Wordy Girls has Robert Frost, Acquainted with the Night at http://community.livejournal.com/wordygirls/7522.html

Liz B said...

Got you all; and wow, I had no idea that my blogroll was this far behind. So I've updated that also; sorry for those left off before this.

Becky, thanking for confirming that it's easy on the eyes; that was my main reason for switching over to blogger beta and messing with the template.

Nancy said...

Thanks for catching me Liz!

Happy Holidays to all!

RM1(SS) (ret) said...

As much as I hate Xmas, here's one from me:

http://theoldcoot.blogspot.com/2006/12/dubious-old-kriss.html

Michele said...

I'm in - still with the weather obsession - I'm a Brit, we always obsess about the weather since ours is so changeable !

Anonymous said...

Liz, I'm in with a post about the site Poetry 180 and a poem "The Bagel." Also, Andrea from Just One More Book! left a link from her site on that post, too. thanks for rounding up.

Anonymous said...

um, forgot to leave the link

http://chickenspaghetti.typepad.com/chicken_spaghetti/2006/12/poetry_friday_o.html

Thanks again. ---Susan

Greg Pincus said...

Hey there... I'm finally up with my entry:

I Crawled Out of Bed Today

Greg Pincus said...

Thanks for the link, Liz, but I realized I changed the title of the post a few minutes later, thus messing up the linkage! Here's the new link:

I Crawled out of Bed Today

And Happy Vacation!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to us. Happy holidays!

mbpbooks said...

Here's a Wordsworth poem and childhood memory that makes me wistful for the days when poetry memorization and recitation were a regular part of family life ...