Thursday, November 01, 2007

Robert's Snow: Diana Magnuson


Robert's Snow: For Cancer's Cure : Seven Impossible Things... has a full explanation, including all posts to date.

The auctions start in November and continue until December. Go here to look at the artwork, and to bid once the auction goes "live."Please consider bidding on a snowflake, and letting other art lovers know about the auction and this opportunity to own a unique work of art. And now, on to the featured artist of the day!

And now, on to the featured artist of the day!

Diana Magnuson is today's Snowflake Artist. Go here to look at the artwork, and to bid once the auction goes "live." Diana Magnuson's snowflake is part of Robert's Snow Auction 3: December 3 to 7, 2007 and is called "Woodland Flower Spirit" by Diana Magnuson.


You know the problem with all these snowflakes? It's like books. Every time I look at a new one, I go, "oh, THIS one is my favorite! This is the one I must own!" I love this three dimensional flake; click on it to enlarge it, to get a full picture of just how creative this is. Plus there is just something so haunting and compelling about this flower spirit, and the idea of flowers in snow being a miracle, and how Robert's Snow is about the hope that sometimes, miracles happen, if we help.

Diana's website is chock full of information; as can be guessed from her Woodland Flower Spirit snowflake, "the half of me that’s Celtic dominates."

Again from Diana's website, here is what she says about illustrating children's books: "These bring me into the world I’m painting: the textures, the characters –I’m there. It’s an intimacy. I smell the forest, touch the beaver and run with the wolves. I can sense their thoughts. I fly and swim under the sea. The bear’s teeth, lizards skin, the bark on a tree, my fingertips know. It’s a desired richness. Sometimes the image draws itself. Sometimes we argue –a lot. If the character is to be happy, I think and imagine happiness. If it’s sad, I feel it too. Good thing no one is watching."

Diana's work includes 2007's Home on the Range, written by Barbie H. Schwaeber, and is the story behind Home on the Range. Her full online portfolio is here.

I love her use of color. I love the detailed worlds she creates, without using a single word.

Edited to add: Go here for an interview with Diana Magnuson about this snowflake!

10 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

HA! I knew I wasn't the only crazy one! People have watched me write -- and they say the expressions on my face are ...worrying. "Good thing no one is watching." Hah!

I love these dimensional snowflakes. And the worst/best thing about all of them is that I feel like I need a picture book that the artist has illustrated!!! The book piles are getting out of hand!!

Anonymous said...

It IS haunting and compelling. Totally...

Charlotte said...

This is a beauty--I sympathize with your problem! My own little mind is getting blown by all my favorite snowflakes....

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I agree - I keep finding new favorites. This one is so creative and lovely!

Laini Taylor said...

Hi Liz! Did you hear the news? I just read it at Gwenda's blog: new Joss Whedon TV show starring Eliza Dushku. Yay! It sounds quite creepy -- bring it on!

Hope all's well!

Anonymous said...

Yes, that is beautiful! Am I being dense, though -- I can't figure out what she's holding there. Anyone?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful - and so unique! Thanks for featuring this one.

Sarah Stevenson said...

That is one gorgeous snowflake! Wow.

Mary Lee said...

The 3-D ones always take me by surprise. I wouldn't think of using the flake that way!

Stasia D said...

My list of 2 favourites, has now grown to about 14. I learned the hard way about overbidding at my school's art auction last year! What to do, what to do?